It’s summer, that wonderful time of year when people are outdoors in the sun, showing lots of skin at the beach and pool. As the weather heats up and you wear less clothing, do you feel good about your body or do you have some flabby bulges and pockets of fat that keep you from feeling as attractive as you’d like to be? This might be a good time to consider liposuction, a highly successful way to dramatically reduce stubborn fat that diet and exercise have not been able to erase.
Liposuction also improves your body's overall shape and proportions, tightening and toning the abdomen, trimming the waist, contouring the buttocks, and slimming the thighs and lower legs. In addition to liposuction, I offer a complete range of body shaping procedures which you can learn about here.
Learn more about liposuction in this short video
No matter which type of plastic surgery procedure my patients are considering, I firmly believe that the best patient is an informed patient. It's important to me that before you have a procedure, you have all the information you need to make the decision that's right for you. Get more information about liposuction by clicking here or on the image below.
Who is a good candidate for liposuction
As well as having realistic expectations about the results of this procedure, someone considering liposuction should:
- Be of average weight or only slightly above-average weight
- Have firm, elastic skin
- Be in good overall health
- Be within 30% of their ideal body weight
- Have concentrated pockets of fat that do not respond well to diet and exercise
Who is not a good candidate
- People with cellulite are not good candidates for liposuction because they may develop skin irregularities in the treated area.
- Older adults often have less elasticity in their skin and thus may not get the same results that a younger person with tighter skin would.
- Though liposuction involves the removal of fat, it is not meant for patients who are obese. People should resort to liposuction only after they have tried other means of losing weight, particularly diet and exercise.
- Liposuction will not prevent you from gaining weight. To keep your new shape and weight after liposuction, you must follow a proper diet and exercise plan. It is not recommended for those who do not intend to follow a healthy post-surgery regimen.
- Liposuction is typically not recommended for children.
What areas of the body does liposuction work best on?
- chin and neck area
- back of the arms where the skin hangs
- front of the arm pits where the bra digs
- sides of the breasts (chest walls)
- bra rolls
- back rolls
- love handles
- inner thighs/outer thighs
- calfs and ankles
Where liposuction is not performed
- on the face: lower eyelids, upper eyelids, cheeks
- lipomas (benign fatty growths)
For even better results, consider combining liposuction with other body sculpting procedures
For even more dramatic results, liposuction can be combined with a number of other body sculpting procedures such as breast augmentation, a facelift, tummy tuck, Mommy Makeover or lower body lift. Note: if you're interested in reducing fat throughout your entire body, this will likely take multiple procedures.
I perform liposuction at the Surgical Specialty Center of Westchester
For almost every plastic surgery procedure I perform, including liposuction, I use the Surgical Specialty Center of Westchester. Located in Harrison, NY, the Surgical Specialty Center has four operating rooms and an 11-bed recovery room. Each operating room is fully equipped with state-of-the-art anesthesia (provided by a board-certified anesthesiologist), emergency equipment and everything else I and my surgical team need to provide the highest standard of care to each one of our patients. To learn more, watch this short video or click on the image below.
Liposuction technologies are advancing every day
Liposuction continues to be at the forefront of significant advancements in medical technology. Due to recent innovations, liposuction is now cheaper and less invasive than in the past and plastic surgeons are able to achieve better, more natural-looking results. In addition, there are now three procedures to choose from: tumescent (traditional), laser-assisted (SmartLipo) and ultrasound-assisted. In our consultation, I will discuss each of these with you and together we will choose the one that’s best for you.
How much does liposuction cost?
Because everyone’s body is unique and the amount and location of fat to be removed with liposuction varies from person to person, the exact cost of this procedure is determined after I have met with the patient and together, we have decided how many areas of the body are good candidates for liposuction in order to achieve the best possible results.
Insurance companies consider liposuction to be elective cosmetic surgery and therefore is usually not covered by insurance, meaning that patients pay the entire cost themselves.
See the beautiful results for yourself
If you are thinking about having liposuction, please contact me for a free consultation where you will hear about all your options and have the opportunity to ask any questions. I have performed hundreds of liposuction procedures and am highly experienced in this specialized type of plastic surgery. Deciding to have liposuction is an important decision and I am dedicated to helping you achieve the beautiful body you’ve always wanted.
For more information about liposuction, read these 3 blogs
So you can be fully informed before you decide to have liposuction, I’ve written several blogs explaining the procedure and its benefits. Here are the three most popular ones:
- With Liposuction, Once Fat Is Gone, It's Gone!
- Before Getting Liposuction, Be Realistic About Your Expectations
- How Liposuction Works: Watch Dr. Beran’s Short Video
To learn more about the many body contouring procedures I offer
- Body Procedures
- Butt Augmentation
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Lower Body Lift
- Mommy Makeover
- Tummy Tuck
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.