Before you know it the holidays will be here, full of parties and get-togethers with family, friends and co-workers. To look your very best, now is a great time to decide to get liposuction, the effective, long-lasting way to help you eliminate those unwanted bulges and pooches that diet and exercise have not been able to erase.
For even better results, combine liposuction with other body sculpting procedures
If you’re like many of my patients, you might choose to combine liposuction with another body shaping procedure, such as a tummy tuck, breast augmentation or Brazilian butt lift to achieve the results you want. In addition to liposuction, I also offer a wide range of other body sculpting procedures to help you achieve a more shapely body, which you can learn about here. To find out more about liposuction, watch my short video by clicking on the image below.
Liposuction sculpts and tones your body for a trimmer, firmer silhouette
If you’ve tried dieting and exercise but still have localized areas of fat that simply won’t go away, liposuction could be the answer you’ve been looking for. It slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by reducing excess fat deposits and improving your body contours and proportion. In addition, having liposuction is the motivation many people need to commit to a healthier lifestyle and let go of bad habits, such as smoking and overeating.
The areas of the body that respond best to liposuction:
- abdomen and waist
- hips and buttocks
- inner and outer thighs
- inner knees
- calves and ankles
- cheeks, jowls and neck
- upper arms
- breast or chest areas
What’s involved in liposuction?
During a liposuction procedure, body fat is extracted by first inserting a small, hollow tube (cannula) through one or more tiny incisions near the area to be suctioned. Incisions are usually less than one-quarter inch in length and are placed in places where they will be least noticeable, often within skin folds or contour lines. The cannula is connected through a tube to a vacuum pressure unit. Guided by a plastic surgeon, the suction device then vacuums away your unwanted fat.
If you gain weight after liposuction, that will impact the results
Liposuction reduces the number of your fat cells by 80-90%, which is a significant amount. However, if you do gain weight after a liposuction procedure, the fat cells that were not removed and are still in your body can increase in size. The good news in these instances is that there are not nearly as many of them as before.
Who is a good candidate for liposuction
A good candidate for liposuction should have realistic expectations about the results of the procedure. In addition, he or she should:
- Be of average or only slightly above-average weight
- Have firm, elastic skin
- Be in good overall health
- Be within 30% of their ideal body weight
- Have concentrated pockets of fat that do not respond well to diet and exercise
Who is not a good candidate
- People with cellulite are not good candidates for liposuction because they may develop skin irregularities in the treated area.
- Older adults often have less elasticity in their skin and thus may not get the same results that a younger person with tighter skin would.
- Though liposuction involves the removal of fat, it is not meant for patients who are obese. People should resort to liposuction only after they have tried other means of losing weight, particularly diet and exercise.
- Liposuction will not prevent you from gaining weight. To keep your new shape and weight after liposuction, you must follow a proper diet and exercise plan. It is not recommended for those who do not intend to follow a healthy post-surgery regimen.
- Liposuction is typically not recommended for children.
For more facts about liposuction, read these 3 blogs
So you can be fully informed before you decide to have liposuction, I’ve written several blogs explaining the procedure and its benefits. Here are the three most popular ones:
- Before Getting Liposuction, Be Realistic About Your Expectations
- Is Liposuction Right For You?
- The Most Popular Areas of the Body to Have Liposuction
Are you considering liposuction?
If you are thinking about having liposuction, please contact me for a free consultation where you’ll hear about all your options and have the opportunity to ask as many as questions as you like. I have performed hundreds of liposuction procedures and am highly experienced in this specialized type of plastic surgery. Deciding to have liposuction is an important decision and I am dedicated to helping you achieve the beautiful body you’ve always wanted.
Learn more about the many body contouring procedures I offer
- Body Procedures
- Butt Augmentation
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Lower Body Lift
- Mommy Makeover
- Tummy Tuck
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.