Over the years, have you developed squishy, flabby tummy rolls, or stretch marks from weight gain or pregnancy? Do you long for a tighter, toned, sexier body? If so, I encourage you to consider a tummy tuck.
Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, is an effective, highly successful way to take away excess fat and loose skin, and tighten and tone weakened or separated stomach muscles. The result? A smoother, firmer, younger-looking midsection.
Tummy tuck: an effective way to win the “battle of the bulge”
For many of my patients, male as well as female, no matter how much they exercise and eat a healthy diet, they can’t seem to get rid of excess weight in their midsection, especially if they’re middle age or older. If you have a similar situation, a tummy tuck is a great solution.
Tummy tuck surgery is a plastic surgery procedure that takes loose, flabby skin that has lost its shape and elasticity and transforms it into a flatter, smoother, more toned abdominal surface. It also strengthens weakened stomach muscles, improves the look and shape of the belly button, defines the waist, creates a tighter abdomen and enables clothes, bathing suits and lingerie to fit more comfortably and attractively.
5 most common reasons to have a tummy tuck
1) To eliminate loose skin around the abdomen. Dieting and exercise can tone muscles but cannot take away loose, sagging folds of abdominal skin. An abdominoplasty accomplishes this by tightening the inner girdle (the area that extends from the rib cage to the pubic bone) and reshaping the abdominal walls.
2) To erase stretch marks caused by pregnancy. Stretch marks occur during pregnancy due to the extreme stretching of muscle and skin around the abdomen to accommodate the growing baby. They can also result from losing a great deal of weight. The good news is that stretch marks, as well as Cesarean section scars, can be almost entirely erased with a tummy tuck.
3) To remove old scars from previous surgeries. If you have had stomach stapling operations in the past or other surgeries that have left scars on your abdomen (appendectomy, hernia operation, etc.), a tummy tuck can remove those scars and restore the surface of the skin so that it looks smooth, toned and scar-free.
4) To wear skimpy lingerie and revealing swimsuits (especially bikinis). After having a tummy tuck, one small scar will be visible across the lowest part of the abdomen area (just above the bikini line) and another around the belly button area. For most of my patients, these scars heal extremely well and are not obvious.
5) For a more positive self-image. Getting a tummy tuck means a lot more than just a flatter stomach and tighter midsection. It can also greatly increase a person’s self-esteem and self-confidence. In fact, a large number of my patients have told me that after their tummy tuck, they have felt that if a flatter abdomen is possible for them, other things can be as well. They not only look and feel better, they have a new outlook on life and a renewed purpose. Often, this propels them to stop smoking, exercise more regularly and pursue a healthier lifestyle.
What a tummy tuck won't do
- A tummy tuck is not a substitute for weight loss or an exercise program.
- Although the results of a tummy tuck are technically permanent, they can be greatly diminished by significant fluctuations in your weight. For this reason, if you are planning to lose a substantial amount of weight or if you’re considering future pregnancies, I would advise you to postpone a tummy tuck.
Remember, tummy tuck surgery is surgery
Some people believe that a tummy tuck is a simple, quick procedure but it is important to realize that it is major surgery, requiring 1-2 hours in the operating room under general anesthesia. A typical abdominoplasty removes a few pounds of stomach fat and excess skin and tightens the muscles by suturing them. Recovery times vary, but generally most patients are back to work in 1-2 weeks. Before you decide to have a tummy tuck, together we will discuss the procedure in detail and make sure that you understand all that is involved.
Often, one of the first questions my patients ask me when they’re considering tummy tuck surgery is how much it will cost. My answer is that there is no one standard price. Every person’s body and the results they’re hoping to achieve with a tummy tuck are unique to them. That’s why I determine the exact cost of this body contouring procedure after I have met with the patient, evaluated their body type, amount of excess fat and skin, overall physical condition and their personal goals and expectations. Then together, we will discuss how the procedure will deliver the best possible results. For further pricing details, please contact me.
Who is a good candidate for a tummy tuck?
Having performed hundreds of tummy tucks, I have found that the best candidates:
- are in good health
- have sagging skin, loose muscle and excess fat which they want removed
- are within 20% of their ideal body weight
- have had significant weight loss and have kept it off for at least 6 months
- do not smoke
- men are also good candidates for a tummy tuck, especially if they have experienced extreme weight loss
If you are interested in a tummy tuck
I understand that choosing to have a tummy tuck is an important decision for a woman. I also know how much it means to each and every patient to achieve the results she wants.
If you are thinking about getting a tummy tuck and would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact me and I will send you additional information prior to your appointment. To make sure you are fully informed about your surgery options and understand exactly what results to expect, I will take all the time you need to make sure your questions are answered.
For more information about tummy tucks, I recommend these 3 blogs
So that you can be fully informed before you decide to have a tummy tuck, I’ve written several blogs explaining this procedure and its many benefits:
- Is This The Perfect Time For A Tummy Tuck?
- 12 Questions to Ask Your Plastic Surgeon Before Getting a Tummy Tuck
- Can I Get Pregnant After A Tummy Tuck?
To learn more about all the body contouring procedures I offer:
- Body Procedures
- Butt Augmentation
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Lower Body Lift
- Mommy Makeover
- Tummy Tuck
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.