Do you have squishy, flabby tummy rolls? Have you developed stretch marks from weight gain or pregnancy? Would you like to look and feel better in bathing suits and lingerie? If you answered yes to any (or all) of these questions, I encourage you to consider getting a tummy tuck.
Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, is an effective, highly successful way to reduce excess fat and loose skin, and tighten and tone weakened or separated stomach muscles. The result? A smoother, firmer, sexier midsection. To learn more about the range of body sculpting procedures I offer, click here.
Tummy tuck: a way to win the “battle of the bulge”
For many of my patients, male as well as female, no matter how much they exercise and watch what they eat, they inevitably carry excess weight in their midsection, especially if they’re middle age or older. In these instances, a tummy tuck is a great solution.
Tummy tuck surgery is a plastic surgery procedure that takes loose, flabby skin that has lost its shape and elasticity and transforms it into a flatter, smoother, more toned abdominal surface. It also strengthens weakened stomach muscles, improves the look and shape of the belly button, takes away fat and loose skin, defines the waist, creates a tighter abdomen and enables clothes to fit more comfortably and attractively.
Be informed: 10 things to know about a tummy tuck
As I tell all my patients who are considering a tummy tuck, it is surgery, and surgery should never be taken lightly. Even though it entails a 1-2 hour operation under anesthesia, the vast majority of people who get a tummy tuck do very well with this procedure and are thrilled with the results.
So that you can be as informed as possible when you’re making your decision, I offer these 10 important facts to think about beforehand:
- The best candidate for a tummy tuck is a male or female in good health. In all cases, a pre-surgery physical is required.
- You may need to stop taking certain medications and/or supplements prior to surgery, and stop smoking. If you smoke, you should stop at least 2 weeks before and 4 weeks following the procedure to minimize the risk of complications.
- A tummy tuck reduces stomach fat. It will not take away fat deposits in other areas, although it can be combined with other procedures, such as liposuction, for additional fat-reducing benefits.
- Not everyone undergoing a tummy tuck has the same amount of fat and skin removed. In fact, some of my patients choose to have a mini-tummy tuck because their excess fat and skin is below the belly button.
- Abdominoplasty is not covered by medical insurance when performed for cosmetic purposes.
- Tummy tuck surgery is performed in our fully licensed ambulatory surgery center, The Surgical Specialty Center of Westchester. In almost all cases, patients go home an hour or so after surgery.
- Swelling, bruising and some amount of pain and discomfort are common occurrences following a tummy tuck and typically go away after a week or two.
- You may be able to return to work in a week or so following surgery. Most activities can usually be resumed within 1-2 weeks, and exercise after 6 weeks. Keep in mind that these time frames are subject to the type of work you do, the extent of your surgery and how quickly your body heals.
- The cost of a tummy tuck varies from person to person and is generally determined by the complexity of the surgery and the physical characteristics of each individual patient.
- The results of a tummy tuck are permanent! However, if you lose or gain a considerable amount of weight after the surgery, this could negatively affect your results.
How much does a tummy tuck cost?
Often, one of the first questions my patients ask me when they’re considering tummy tuck surgery is how much it will cost. My answer is that there is no one standard price. Every woman’s body and the results she’s hoping to achieve with a tummy tuck are unique to her. That’s why I determine the exact cost of this body contouring procedure after I have met with the patient, evaluated her body type, amount of excess fat and skin, overall physical condition and her personal goals and expectations. Then together, we will discuss how the procedure will deliver the best possible results. For further pricing details, please contact me.
Who is a good candidate for a tummy tuck?
Having performed hundreds of tummy tucks, I am very experienced in this procedure. In my plastic surgery practice, I have found that the best candidates for abdominoplasty:
- are in good health
- have sagging skin, loose muscle and excess fat which they want removed
- are within 20% of their ideal body weight
- have had significant weight loss and have kept it off for at least 6 months
- do not smoke
- men are also good candidates for a tummy tuck, especially if they have experienced extreme weight loss
If you are interested in a tummy tuck
I understand that choosing to have a tummy tuck is an important decision for a woman. I also know how much it means to each and every patient to achieve the results she wants.
If you are thinking about getting a tummy tuck and would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact me and I will send you additional information prior to your appointment. To make sure you are fully informed about your surgery options and understand exactly what results to expect, I will take all the time you need to make sure your questions are answered.
Learn more about body sculpting procedures
For further information on body slimming, toning and contouring procedures, you might find these pages on my website helpful:
- Body Procedures
- Mommy Makeover
- Butt Augmentation
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Lower Body Lift
- Tummy Tuck
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.