Do you have droopy, sagging breasts? Do you wish they were fuller, higher and younger-looking? Like many of my patients, you might want to consider having a breast lift, not only to improve the way your breasts look but also the way you feel about yourself as a woman.
Breast lift surgery restores the shape and contour of breasts that have sagged as a result of:
- weight loss
- other factors
How is breast lift surgery different from breast augmentation?
A breast lift with or without an implant enables you to look and feel more attractive, both undressed and in clothing, and to feel more confident about your appearance.
The breast lift procedure is performed by re-positioning the nipple and areola (the pink skin surrounding the nipple) to a higher position, moving the breast tissue to a higher level, removing excess skin from the lower portion of the breast, and reshaping the remaining breast skin. A variety of incision patterns are possible, depending on the desired results and the correction needed. In most cases, breast and nipple sensation can be preserved.
Breast augmentation surgery—making breasts larger by inserting silicone, saline or structured implants—is typically performed to enlarge small breasts, underdeveloped breasts or breasts that have decreased in size after a woman has had children. Breast augmentation can also make breasts more symmetrical if one is significantly larger than the other. For more information on breast augmentation, download our free fact sheet!
Many of my patients choose to have their breasts lifted and increased in size in the same procedure.
Common reasons why women choose breast lift surgery
A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. Here are the top 3 reasons why women choose to have a breast lift:
1) To restore a better breast shape following pregnancy and breastfeeding. Pregnancy often leaves breasts stretched and sagging. A breast lift, with or without implants, can help undo these changes and restore a more youthful, attractive appearance.
2) To improve breast contour after significant weight loss. Losing a lot of weight often means losing breast volume. By removing excess skin and tightening the remaining breast tissue, a breast lift can help restore a more proportional, youthful breast shape.
3) To enjoy a sexy, perky breast shape for the first time. Some of my patients have had drooping breasts since their teens. Breast lift surgery can help all women get the breast profile they have always wanted.
How to tell if you need a breast lift
Here are some questions you can ask yourself to help you determine if a breast lift might help improve your breast shape and is something you would like to pursue.
1) Do your nipples seem to point downward? As skin at the base of the breast stretches out and begins to sag, the weight of breast tissue will pull the nipple downward. A breast lift will reposition the breast tissue so the nipples are facing forward.
2) Does the nipple/areola sit below the crease underneath your breast? One trait cosmetic surgeons frequently look for when evaluating a breast lift candidate is the position of the nipple/areola in relation to the inframammary fold, or crease beneath the breast. Try this test: slide a plain sheet of paper underneath your breast (no bra) so that it sits against the breast crease. When looking in the mirror, do your nipples sit below the top edge of the paper? If so, you have enough sagging to consider a breast lift.
3) Are you happy with your breast size when wearing a bra? A breast lift alone will not significantly change the size of your breasts. It can help your breasts look fuller, rounder and better in a bra, but if you would like your breasts to be larger or smaller, a breast lift in conjunction with breast augmentation or reduction may be the right option for you.
4) Are your breasts asymmetrical or unusually shaped? Since breast lift surgery reshapes the breast tissue as well as lifts sagging breasts, it can be very effective in improving breast symmetry and shape.
Seeing is believing
To see unretouched “before and after” photos of actual patients of mine who have had successful breast lifts, please visit the Breast Lift page in the Photo Gallery section of my website.
If you are interested in a breast lift
If you are thinking about having a breast lift, and possibly breast augmentation at the same time, and would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact me. I will send you additional information prior to your appointment.
More information on breast surgery
You might also find these pages helpful on my website:
- Breast Procedures
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Revision
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.