Do you wish you had a flatter, more toned, sexier tummy? If you’re like many of my patients, this is a common desire, for both women and men. Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, is a great way to reduce excess fat and skin and restore weakened or separated muscles. The result? A smoother, firmer, more attractive midsection.
For my female patients, the presence of stretch marks is what prompts them to request a tummy tuck, whereas my male patients want to reduce the “middle age bulge” that has crept up on them.
The battle of the bulge
In my experience, even individuals of otherwise normal body weight and proportion can develop a protruding, loose, sagging abdomen. The most common causes include:
- Prior surgery
- Significant fluctuations in weight
A tummy tuck takes loose, flabby skin that has lost its shape and elasticity and helps transform it into a flatter, smoother abdominal surface.
The 5 best reasons to have a tummy tuck
1) To reduce loose skin around the abdomen. Dieting and exercise can tone muscles but cannot take away loose, sagging folds of abdominal skin. An abdominoplasty accomplishes this by tightening the inner girdle (the area that extends from the ribcage to the pubic bone) and reshaping the abdominal walls.
2) To decrease stretch marks caused by pregnancy. Stretch marks occur during pregnancy due to the extreme stretching of muscle and skin around the abdomen to accommodate the growing baby. They can also result from losing a great deal of weight. The good news is that stretch marks, as well as Caesarean section scars, can be dramatically decreased with a tummy tuck.
3) To improve old scars from previous surgeries. If you have had stomach stapling operations in the past or other surgeries that have left scars on your abdomen (appendectomy, hernia operation, etc.), a tummy tuck can vastly improve the appearance those scars and help restore the surface of the skin so that it looks smooth, toned and scar-free.
4) To be able to wear skimpy underwear and revealing swim suits (especially bikinis). After having a tummy tuck, one small scar will be visible across the lowest part of the abdomen area (just above the bikini line) and another around the belly button area. For most of my patients, these scars heal extremely well and are not obvious.
5) For a more positive self-image. Getting a tummy tuck means a lot more than just a flatter stomach and tighter midsection. Just as importantly, it increases a person’s self-esteem and self-confidence. In fact, a great many of my patients have told me that after their tummy tuck, they have felt that if a flatter abdomen is possible for them, other things can be as well. They not only look and feel better, they have a new outlook on life and a renewed purpose.
What a tummy tuck won't do
- A tummy tuck is not a substitute for weight loss or an exercise program.
- Although the results of a tummy tuck are technically permanent, this can be greatly diminished by significant fluctuations in your weight. For this reason, if you are planning to lose a substantial amount of weight or if you’re considering future pregnancies, I would advise you to postpone a tummy tuck.
If a tummy tuck is something you are interested in
If you are considering having a tummy tuck, please contact me for a free consultation. I have performed hundreds of tummy tucks and am highly experienced in this specialized type of plastic surgery. I am happy to meet with you, answer your questions, and discuss how this procedure can achieve the beautiful results you desire.
To learn more about body sculpting procedures
For further information on body slimming and toning procedures, you might find these pages helpful on my website:
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With years of experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, he consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body.