As I often tell my patients, when you find out how many areas of the body CoolSculpting can treat, it might be hard to pick just one! In whichever area (or areas) you choose to be treated, CoolSculpting freezes and destroys your fat, which over time is flushed from your system, leaving you with a slimmer body. Even though the process is the same for every person, keep in mind that the best areas for CoolSculpting are going to be different for each particular body. To learn more about CoolSculpting, watch my short 2-minute video by clicking on the button below.
CoolSculpting: an effective to freeze away fat without surgery
Have you been carrying around your saddle bags long enough? Are you tired of your double chin? Do you long for a trim, toned, sexy tummy? If the answer is yes, you're a great candidate for CoolSculpting, a non-invasive body sculpting procedure that dramatically reduces stubborn layers of fat by freezing and then eliminating them from your body for good—without needles, surgery or downtime.
It's important to understand, however, that CoolSculpting is not a weight-loss treatment. It is designed for people who live active lifestyles, experience minimal weight fluctuations and are wanting to target certain areas of their bodies that are stubbornly resistant to exercise and healthy eating habits.
Two types of fat tissue
There are two kinds of fat tissue:
1. fat that is closer to the surface of your skin
2. fat that is denser and deeper in the body
The first type—closer to the surface—responds really well to CoolSculpting, while the second type—deeper in the body—can’t be reached with the procedure.
Surface fat can usually be pinched between your fingers (tummy rolls, chin, inner thighs) and is the perfect kind for CoolSculpting to get rid of. If the area you want to treat is easily pinch-able, it's most likely a good area for CoolSculpting.
The 7 best areas for CoolSculpting
Fortunately, many of the common stubborn areas of fat are the pinch-able, close-to-the-surface type of tissue that CoolSculpting can easily treat. Here are the most popular ones for CoolSculpting:
1. Flanks: Bulges at the sides of your waist, or “love handles,” respond incredibly well to CoolSculpting, even when weight loss hasn’t seemed to shrink them. Bathing suits, leggings and pants will fit better, and you’ll feel more confident in slimmer shirts, skirts and dresses, not needing to hide your sides any longer.
2. Abdomen: The stomach is one of the most common places the body stores fat so it can be very hard to reach this area with diet and exercise. This is also the most common area people want CoolSculpting, especially because the results are so impressive.
3. Thighs: Thigh fat can be particularly stubborn but CoolSculpting produces good results on the inner and outer thigh areas, even though they’re very different. The skin on the inner thighs is usually easier to pinch and to feel surface fat. Fat on the outer thighs or “saddle bags” is harder to pinch but is still usually made up of the right tissue to be able to treat with CoolSculpting.
4. Double chin: Fat under the chin responds very well to CoolSculpting. In fact, there is a mini CoolSculpting applicator specially designed to treat the pad of fat just underneath the chin so CoolSculpting can target it precisely and safely.
5. Upper Arms: If you have excess, sagging, jiggly skin hanging from your arms, it most likely is not the type of fatty tissue that CoolSculpting can treat. Fat that is fluffier and lumpier around the upper arms is where CoolSculpting gives great results
6. Underneath the buttocks: The pouches of fat underneath the buttocks can be effectively treated with CoolSculpting. The procedure will smooth out this area so that it's slimmer and more contoured, and follows the rest of the area of your leg under the buttocks.
7. Back fat: Coolsculpting is very effective for treating fat on certain areas of the back. The three most commonly treated areas are the parts of the lower back that extend from the love handles, the mid-back fat on the sides, and “bra bulge” fat under the bra line.
How soon can I see results from CoolSculpting?
With CoolSculpting, the results are very long-lasting but not immediate. You will see a reduction of approximately 25% of fat bulges as soon as 3 weeks following treatment,* with the greatest results occurring over the next 2-4 months.* Your overall loss of total fat may be more or less, depending on the individual patient, his/her body type and the amount of fat that is treated.
If you want more than a 20-30% reduction in fat, you may require multiple CoolSculpting treatments. This depends on the size of the fat layer to be removed and what your particular goals are. As long as you maintain your weight with normal diet and exercise, your results should be long-term.
How long do the results last?
After a CoolSculpting treatment, the treated fat cells no longer exist and can therefore no longer expand, resulting in the size and occurrence of "trouble spots" being reduced long-term.* However, since each contouring treatment reduces only about 20-25% of fat cells, if patients do not continue to eat well and exercise, they can still gain weight in that area due to the remaining 75% of fat cells that can expand. That’s why it’s important not to gain weight after the procedure or your results will not be long-lasting.
If you get pregnant after CoolSculpting, you may need another procedure to restore your initial results. If you’re planning on getting pregnant in the near future, I recommend waiting to have CoolSculpting until after you’ve given birth.
To learn more about CoolSculpting
If you are thinking about having CoolSculpting and would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact me. I will send you additional information prior to your appointment, then when we meet, I will evaluate your body type, hear what you’re hoping to achieve and answer all your questions.
More information on body sculpting procedures
For further information on body slimming, toning and contouring procedures, you might find these pages on my website helpful:
- Body Procedures
- Mommy Makeover
- Butt Augmentation
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Lower Body Lift
- Tummy Tuck
*Results may vary from person to person
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.