Have you been carrying around your saddle bags long enough? Ready to lose your double chin? Do you long for a trim, toned, sexy tummy? If the answer is yes to any or all of these, you're a great candidate for CoolSculpting, a non-invasive body sculpting procedure that dramatically reduces stubborn layers of fat by freezing and then eliminating them from your body for good—without needles, surgery, scarring or downtime.
Unlike ultrasound- and heat-based fat-reducing treatments which actually explode unwanted fat cells, CoolSculpting works by freezing them. This causes them to die and get flushed from the body as waste, leaving you more toned and sculpted. This procedure has fewer side effects than other methods (which can cause bruising and soreness) and delivers more effective results.
To learn more about how CoolSculpting can trim and tone many areas of your body, watch my short 2-minute video by clicking on the button below.
The 7 best areas for CoolSculpting
Even though the CoolSculpting process is the same for every person, keep in mind that the best areas for this procedure are going to be different for each particular body.
Fat cells that are close to the surface of the skin respond really well to CoolSculpting, while those that are deeper inside the body cannot be reached with this procedure. Surface fat can usually be pinched between your fingers (tummy rolls, chin, inner thighs) and is the perfect kind for CoolSculpting to get rid of. If the area you want to treat is easily pinch-able, it's most likely a good area for CoolSculpting.
The most popular areas of the body for CoolSculpting are:
- Flanks: Bulges at the sides of your waist, or “love handles,” respond incredibly well to CoolSculpting, even when weight loss hasn’t seemed to shrink them. Bathing suits, leggings and pants will fit better, and you’ll feel more confident in slimmer shirts, skirts and dresses, not needing to hide your sides any longer.
- Abdomen: The stomach is one of the most common places the body stores fat so it can be very hard to reach this area with diet and exercise. This is also the most common area people want CoolSculpting, especially because the results are so impressive.
- Thighs: Thigh fat can be particularly stubborn but CoolSculpting produces good results on the inner and outer thigh areas, even though they’re very different. The skin on the inner thighs is usually easier to pinch and to feel surface fat. Fat on the outer thighs or “saddle bags” is harder to pinch but is still usually made up of the right tissue to be able to treat with CoolSculpting.
- Double chin: Fat under the chin responds very well to CoolSculpting. In fact, there is a mini CoolSculpting applicator specially designed to treat the pad of fat just underneath the chin so CoolSculpting can target it precisely and safely.
- Upper Arms: If you have excess, sagging, jiggly skin hanging from your arms, it most likely is not the type of fatty tissue that CoolSculpting can treat. Fat that is fluffier and lumpier around the upper arms is where CoolSculpting gives great results.
- Underneath the buttocks: The pouches of fat underneath the buttocks can be effectively treated with CoolSculpting. The procedure will smooth out this area so that it's slimmer and more contoured, and follows the rest of the area of your leg under the buttocks.
- Back fat: CoolSculpting is very effective for treating fat on certain areas of the back. The three most commonly treated areas are the parts of the lower back that extend from the love handles, the mid-back fat on the sides, and “bra bulge” fat under the bra line.
What happens during the procedure?
A CoolSculpting procedure takes about 60 minutes per section. First, a gel pad is placed over the area that is being treated to protect the skin from the freezing treatment. Next, a device similar to a large vacuum hose is attached to your skin. You will feel a cold sensation like an ice pack on bare skin, then a firm tug and pull – enough of a pull to make sure the selected tissue will be cooled most efficiently. Then you will feel a sensation of intense cold, which soon goes away.
Since the CoolSculpting procedure is completely non-invasive, you can return to your normal activities immediately. You may experience redness, minor bruising, tingling or numbness in the treated area, but this is temporary.
What will your body look like after CoolSculpting?
What can you expect after a CoolSculpting treatment? Noticeably smaller fat bulges and a more toned appearance. Results can be seen as soon as 3 weeks following treatment*, with the greatest results occurring over the next 2-4 months*(as shown by the illustration below). Your body will still be flushing fat cells at that time, and it will continue doing so for up to 4 months*.
Most importantly, you should feel more comfortable wearing the clothes you want to wear. With all of my patients who choose CoolSculpting, my main goal is to enable them to feel happy, satisfied and beautiful with their “new” thighs.
The best part: As long as you maintain your weight with normal diet and exercise, the results should be long-term.
How long do the results last?
After a CoolSculpting treatment, the treated fat cells no longer exist and can therefore no longer expand, resulting in the size and occurrence of "trouble spots" being reduced long-term.*
However, since each contouring treatment reduces only about 20-25% of fat cells, if you do not continue to eat well and exercise, you can still gain weight in that area due to the remaining 75% of fat cells that can expand. That’s why it’s important not to gain weight after the procedure or your results will not be long-lasting.
Not a weight-loss treatment
Even though CoolSculpting does a very good job of destroying fat cells, it is not a weight-loss treatment or a shortcut method to reduce fat. It is designed for people who live active lifestyles, experience minimal weight fluctuations and want to target certain areas of their bodies that are resistant to exercise and healthy eating habits. You just need enough tissue in the chosen area for the applicator to grab.
Also, fat cells that are close to the surface of the skin respond really well to CoolSculpting, while those that are deeper inside the body cannot be reached with this procedure. Surface fat can usually be pinched between your fingers (tummy rolls, chin, inner thighs) and is the perfect kind for CoolSculpting to get rid of. If the area you want to treat is easily pinch-able, it's most likely a good area for CoolSculpting.
Interested in CoolSculpting?
If you are thinking about having CoolSculpting and would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact me. I will send you additional information prior to your appointment, then when we meet, I will evaluate your body type, hear what you’re hoping to achieve and answer all your questions.
To learn more about the many body contouring procedures I offer
- Body Procedures
- Butt Augmentation
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Lower Body Lift
- Mommy Makeover
- Tummy Tuck
*Results may vary from person to person
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.