Sometimes due to age or certain medical treatments or simply genetics, various areas of the body can sag, wrinkle or become hollowed out. In these instances, fat injections are a highly successful way to smooth out facial lines, plump up lips and cheeks, augment breasts and buttocks, and reduce wrinkles in the hands and feet. The result? A smoother, better-contoured, younger-looking you!
What exactly is fat injection?
Fat injection, also referred to as fat grafting or fat transfer, involves removing fat from one area of your body and injecting it into another area—usually to enhance facial fullness, fill creases or build up shallow contours. Best of all, since it involves recycling or transplanting your own fat, fat injection is highly desirable for many of my patients because the fat being transferred is their own tissue and therefore there is no chance of rejection or an allergic reaction.
Traditionally, fat injection has been used to beneficially improve and enhance the cosmetic appearance of the face, breasts, hands, feet, hips and buttocks. Recently, however, plastic surgeons have seen the therapeutic benefits of fat injection in the healing of wounds and scars, as well as repairing damage to breast tissue following radiation treatment.
Note: Although the results of fat injection are long-lasting, a certain percentage of injected fat will be reabsorbed by the body. Therefore, the procedure may need to be repeated to achieve and maintain the results you desire.
The fat injection process
The process of fat injection involves three steps:
- extraction of fat from a "donor area" (such as the abdomen or buttocks) with liposuction
- decanting, centrifugation and processing (purifying) of the fat
- reinjection of the purified fat into the area needing improvement
Most popular areas of the body for fat injections
Typically, fat injections are used to achieve volume, shape and a natural “lift” in these areas of the body:
- Restores youthful appearance by adding volume to hollowed out or wrinkled areas such as below the eyes and "laugh lines" around the eyes and mouth
- Helps repair scars
- Adds volume to the cheeks to create the appearance of higher cheekbones
- Improves the texture and appearance of the skin
- Increases breast size by one or two cup sizes
- Corrects breast asymmetry
- Repairs radiation tissue damage
- Treats breast implant capsular contractures
- Helps correct scar deformities from lumpectomy or breast reconstruction
- Adds volume to achieve a more feminine profile and better waist-hip ratio
- Makes buttocks appear larger, higher, fuller
- Augments buttocks size (similar to a Brazilian butt lift or butt augmentation)
Hands and feet
- Reduces wrinkles and rejuvenates appearance
- Provides padding for bony feet
How much do fat injections cost?
Because the texture and appearance of every person’s skin (in the face and throughout the body) is different, and the results they are seeking from fat injections are unique to them, the exact cost is determined after I have met with the patient and together, we have decided the type, number and location(s) of fat injections that will achieve the best, most natural-looking results.
Considering fat injections?
In my more than 20 years of practice, I have performed hundreds of fat injection procedures with highly successful results. If fat injections are something you are interested in, please contact me for a free consultation. I will meet with you, explain the procedure and your various options and make sure you understand exactly what results to expect. Also, I will take all the time you need and make sure all your questions are answered.
To learn more about the many facial procedures I offer
There are several facial procedures available to you in my plastic surgery practice. To learn more, please visit these pages on my website:
- Face procedures
- Eyelid surgery
- Fat injection
- Forehead surgery
- Hair restoration
- Lip enhancement
- Nose reshaping
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.