Over the years, has your tummy become soft and flabby? Instead, do you wish it was firm and toned and sexy? Would you like to look better in bathing suits and lingerie? A tummy tuck might be an excellent option for you.
Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, removes excess fat and skin from the abdomen and restores weakened or separated torso muscles. The result? A smoother, firmer, more toned midsection. Often performed as part of a “mommy makeover” (a combination of procedures that helps restore a woman’s figure after having a baby), a tummy tuck is also very effective at removing excess skin from women and men who have experienced extreme weight loss in a short period of time.
For even better results, add liposuction and a Brazilian Butt Lift
If you decide to have liposuction at the same time as tummy tuck surgery, I can extract unwanted fat around your waist, hips, thighs and buttocks during the procedure. In many cases, I can re-use this unwanted fat and transfer it to your buttocks to lift and enhance the shape for a Brazilian Butt Lift. For more information on liposuction, download our free fact sheet!
Who is a good candidate for a tummy tuck?
Having performed hundreds of tummy tucks, I have found that the best candidates:
- are in good health but have excess skin, loose muscle and excess fat which they want removed
- are within 20% of their ideal body weight
- have had significant weight loss, either from diet and exercise or surgery
- men are also good candidates for a tummy tuck, especially if they have had extreme weight loss
If you plan to get pregnant, you should postpone a tummy tuck until after you have delivered. During surgery, your vertical muscles are tightened and future pregnancies can separate those muscles. Also, if you are planning to lose a significant amount of weight, you should not have a tummy tuck.
5 most popular reasons to have a tummy tuck
1) To reduce loose skin around the abdomen. Dieting and exercise can tone muscles but cannot take away loose, sagging folds of abdominal skin. An abdominoplasty accomplishes this by tightening the inner girdle (the area that extends from the ribcage to the pubic bone) and reshaping the abdominal walls.
2) To decrease stretch marks caused by pregnancy. Stretch marks occur during pregnancy due to the extreme stretching of muscle and skin around the abdomen to accommodate the growing baby. They can also result from losing a great deal of weight. The good news is that stretch marks, as well as Caesarean section scars, can be dramatically decreased with a tummy tuck.
3) To improve old scars from previous surgeries. If you have had stomach stapling operations in the past or other surgeries that have left scars on your abdomen (appendectomy, hernia operation, etc.), a tummy tuck can vastly improve the appearance those scars and help restore the surface of the skin so that it looks smooth, toned and scar-free.
4) To be able to wear skimpy underwear and revealing swim suits (especially bikinis). After having a tummy tuck, one small scar will be visible across the lowest part of the abdomen area (just above the bikini line) and another around the belly button area. For most of my patients, these scars heal extremely well and are not obvious.
5) For a more positive self-image. Getting a tummy tuck means a lot more than just a flatter stomach and tighter midsection. Just as importantly, it increases a person’s self-esteem and self-confidence. In fact, a great many of my patients have told me that after their tummy tuck, they have felt that if a flatter abdomen is possible for them, other things can be as well. They not only look and feel better, they have a new outlook on life and a renewed purpose.
Remember, tummy tuck surgery is surgery
Many people believe that a tummy tuck is an easy procedure but it is important to realize that it is a major operation, requiring 1-2 hours in the operating room under general anesthesia. A typical abdominoplasty removes a few pounds of stomach fat and excess skin and tightens the muscles by suturing them. Recovery times vary, but generally most patients are back to work in 1-2 weeks.
Before deciding to have a tummy tuck, we will discuss the procedure in detail and make sure that you understand all that is involved.
If you are considering a tummy tuck
If you are interesting in having a tummy tuck, please contact me for a free consultation. I have performed hundreds of tummy tucks and am highly experienced in this specialized type of plastic surgery. I am happy to meet with you, answer your questions, and discuss how this procedure can give you the beautiful results you desire.
To learn more about body contouring procedures
For further information on body slimming and toning procedures, you might find these pages helpful on my website:
Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS), and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Samuel J. Beran, MD is a highly accomplished plastic surgeon with offices in Manhattan, Harrison and Mount Kisco, NY. With more than 20 years’ experience and a thorough command of the most advanced techniques and technologies, Dr. Beran consistently provides his patients with the highest level of plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, face, skin and body. Recently, Dr. Beran was named a “Top Doctor” by RealSelf for his dedication to responding to consumer questions and patient feedback. The “Top Doctor” designation is awarded to less than 10% of the RealSelf physician community.